So... I really shouldn't be writing this now; when I should either be getting on with my essay that's due in only 3 days (!!!!!!), or spending time with all my family who are here to see in 2016 with us. However, I am going to write it now, because getting into the swing of writing may help with the essay writer's block (it also may not, but worth a shot), and also because it's 2016! It's a brand new year, children: a clean slate/ new beginning/ yada yada yada. Anyway, that means it's time to set some goals for the year ahead.
Recap of the previous chapter:
THEN; September rolled around, and I started university, and everything changed. Wow- that was cheesy- but it is so true. University, although is very stressful (don't procrastinate about essays, kids) has been one of the best things that could have possibly happened to me. Admittedly, I think it's more of a case of it introducing me to some of the most wonderful people who encourage me constantly and who I have been able to be a completely true form of myself with. And it's a new version of me: new and improved. I've been happier, more content, more at peace, and more open and honest in these last few months than I have been in the last few years. I have also managed to kick habits that were dragging me down and holding me back in every area of my life; habits I honestly wondered if I'd ever be able to break. I'm not saying every thing has been fine and dandy since starting uni: new problems have come along. Namely time management, money management- and of course these last few months have seen me experience my first foray into the world of unrequited love and heartbreak. However, I feel like I have done an 180 degree turn, and I am starting 2016 in a way better place than I started the last. That's an improvement and that's damn exciting.
I want to quickly say Thank You so much to the amazing people who have entered my life this year- the ones who I haven't yet had the chance to thank like I have with my old friends. I need to mention a few specifics but I don't want to say their names, so instead I will describe them by who they are to me, and hopefully if they were to read this- they'd know exactly who they are. So Thank you: To my Fave Filmie- the sweetest guy I've ever met, and whose words encourage me so much, I want to frame them! To my Bro/bebz/Gina to my Jake- You make me feel so looked after, and I really do miss you when you're not around. To the girl who trusts me with her all- it is an absolute honour and I hope I prove myself worthy of it. To the shining star I met on that very first night- you are beautiful and I'm sorry I've not spent as much time with you as I should have. To my little wannabe fairy- I'm here for you through everything and I love you dearly. And to my favourite harlot- every moment spent with you makes me happier than it ought to.
On to the next chapter:
First, the regulars, in the hope that this year is the one in which I actually succeed with them:
- Read my Bible more
- Actually exercise? Like, asides from walking to and from uni
- Be less paranoid about everything
And here is a list of more specific goals I have to better myself in 2016, so that when I write this post again next year, I can again say that I am an improved version of me:
- Better my relationship with my parents: Admittedly, I have a pretty good relationship with my parents compared to other people, but I still struggle with telling my parents when I'm struggling with stuff, and it really upsets them. So I'll work on that I think.
- Help out more around the house: This is the no. 1 cause of arguments between my mother and I and it really doesn't need to be. I live at home, without paying rent, and I'm an adult- the least I could do is do the dishes every now and then!
- Not be afraid of being honest: This year, one of the things that really got me down was the fact that my friends started doing some things that made me feel uncomfortable. And I didn't feel like I could tell them. I can tell them. I should tell them. They are my friends, they love me and I can tell them anything. Also, since I managed to tell someone I had feelings for them this year, being honest should be a tad easier now, right?
- Stop Procrastinating!!!!: Ironic, I know, considering that this entire post is a product of procrastination, but it needs to stop. It causes me so much unneeded anxiety, and I actually do want to do well in my work. This is a must, procrastination is such a massive hinderance in my life!!!
- Be more open about my faith: I know that I am perfectly happy to talk about Christianity on this blog, and admittedly I've never felt the need to deny being Christian. However, I'd love to talk about what I believe more, and also live a life that makes people actually want to ask questions about my faith.
- Write more: Between The Amiable Network and The Edge , I have plenty of opportunities to write in 2016. I need to make the most of them! Also, I saw a cool prompt on tumblr for a short story a week for a year, so I may do that on here, if you guys don't mind! :)
- Be more selfless: This year I want to be as good a friend as I possibly can, and to be able to help as many people as I can.
I'm really excited for 2016. I have a feeling that this is going to be a really solid year. Maybe it's just because anything seems better than the year I just had, or because I'm starting the year from a way better place than the last; but I'm going to stick with my gut instinct on this one.
Remember though- 2016 is only as good as you make it, so make the most of it! Care deeply; kick up a fuss; fall in love; work harder; pick yourself up quicker; party hard; get another tattoo; travel the world. Do whatever it is that your heart is calling you to do, because you might as well! Relish every moment, even the ones- no, especially the ones that don't go to plan.
Don't look back darling,
It distracts from the now
Praying that it brings you much laughter, much love and many adventures. <3